Licensing and Copyrights  
Master Use General use and most liberal.   Sampling Using 'portions' of copyrighted material.
Mechanical For composition and lyrics.
(Needed for 'cover' recordings.)
  Private Material Automatic protections for new material and
benefits of registering with U.S. Copyright Office.


External Links

U.S. Copyright Office

Harry Fox Agency

American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers


Master Use License

If you wish to make copies of another artist's recording(s), we recommend you obtain a "Master Use License", or a "Sound Master License" from the owner of the Master recording (usually the record label of the artist). Unfortunately for the consumer, simply buying the recording does not legally entitle him or her to freely duplicate and distribute copies of that recording, and obtaining a license can be difficult and costly. Even if you are giving copies away as gifts, it is still considered an illegal form of distribution. It may seem that we are taking a 'hard-line' on this issue, but it is the only way that we can protect you, the owner of the master recording, and our business. Our friendly staff will be glad to help you with information on how to obtain a "Master Use License". You can also learn more by checking out some of the resources we've linked below.

Mechanical License

If you make or perform a 'cover' recording of someone else's song, you should get permission to reproduce their composition and lyrics. This permission is called a "Mechanical License", and is somewhat easy to obtain. If you find out who owns the copyright, you can contact them directly and negotiate a fee. The easiest and most common way to obtain a "Mechanical License" is through the Harry Fox Agency... you can even do it on-line! So remember, even if it's you singing someone else's song, we can't process your order unless you obtain a license. This includes karaoke music too! If you have more questions about Mechanical Licenses, please give us a call.


Using a recorded portion of another artists recorded master (Movie, CD, TV Show, Commercials, etc.) is most commonly known as "sampling". Although 'sampling' is a commonality, we must ask that you obtain a "Master Use License" to include it in your recording. Again, we are more that happy to help you comply with copyright and licensing laws.

Copyrighting Your Own Material

At Uni-Sette your original master recordings and compositions will be treated with care and respect. With that in mind, we feel it's important that you protect your rights. By law, any song you write is your property. However, officially copyrighting your songs and compositions can only strengthen your legal position in the event of dispute. Below we've supplied a link to the U.S. Copyright Office, where you can file a version of your work. One of our staff will gladly walk you through the process.